Round Top-Carmine Elementary has a full day PK program for students that are eligible. PK students will start at 8:00 am and release will be at 3:35 pm. Bus transportation is not available for PK students. There will not be a PK program for students younger than 4.
Prekindergarten Eligibility Guidelines:
• be unable to speak and comprehend the English language
• be educationally disadvantaged (eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program [NSLP]; see below - Children who are automatically eligible for NSLP
• be homeless (the student must fit the definition of homeless as defined by 42 USC, §11434a. (See 7.2.4 Pre-K Eligibility Based on Homelessness.)
• be the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserved component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority
• be the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserved component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty
• have ever been in the conservatorship of the Texas DFPS (foster care) following an adversary hearing
• is the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award such as: a peace officer under Texas Government Code, §3106.002, a firefighter under Texas Government Code, §3106.003, an emergency medical first responder under Texas Government Code, §3106.004
Children who are automatically eligible for the NSLP under criteria in federal law (42 USC, §1758) include the following:
• a child who is a member of a household receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
• a child who is enrolled as a participant in Head Start or Even Start
• a child who is considered a migrant child
• a child who is considered homeless
• a child who is considered a runaway
• a child who is a foster child
the student’s family must provide the school district with current income level documentation showing that the income level meets requirements for the student’s participation in the NSLP.
(For exact definitions of the terms used in the previous paragraph and complete information on pre-existing bases for automatic NSLP eligibility, see 42 USC, §1758. For information on appropriate documentation of automatic eligibility, see either the United States (US) Department of Agriculture’s Eligibility Manual for School Meals, available at https://www.fns.usda.gov/eligibility-manual-school-meals, or the Texas Department of Agriculture’s (TDA) NSLP Handbook: Administrator’s Reference Manual, available at http://www.squaremeals.org/Programs/NationalSchoolLunchProgram/NSLPPolicyamp; For additional information concerning the NSLP at the state level, contact the TDA.
You may call or email Linda McCulloch with questions at 979-249-3200 or email@example.com.